The purpose of Gisborne District Council, according to the legislation that governs it, is:
(a) to enable democratic local decision-making and action by, and on behalf of, communities; and
(b) to promote the social, economic, environmental, and cultural well-being of communities, in the present and for the future.
What a great statement!
However I am not convinced the people previously elected to Council have understood or taken seriously the full responsibilities of local government.
See here for more details.
I am standing for Council for a wide range of reasons including:
– the many encouragements (and occasionally direct orders!) that I have received from people in our community to do so over many years;
– an absolute belief in local solutions to local problems (even when they are caused by external influences);
– my commitment to sustainable community development, active citizenship, economic security, environmental protection and the value of cultural diversity;
– a sense of responsibility to the generations who have gone before us and worked so hard to make this region one of the greatest places to live on the whole planet;
– my children and the future we are creating for them and generations to come.